Wednesday, October 21, 2009

How to Wear Sandals With Socks (and not look like my Dad on vacation)

The trusty old sandal/sock combo has an unfashionable reputation, due to countless hordes of northern European menfolk taking to the streets in Birks and black ankle socks come holiday time.

This is not, and never will be, a good look. But does the entire sock/sandal category need to suffer by association?

I think not. If your ankles are lovely, your sandals are sky-high, and the socks of a pattern that won't fight too hard with the rest of the outfit, this look can look amazing. Like this. I think the hose do an excellent job of de-promifying what might be an overly sweet dress:

Give it a try! At the very least, your sandals can get a few more outings in the autumn air before the sleet really sets in.

(photo by Patrick Demarchelier for British Vogue, published in November 2009)

2 comments:

  1. I used to wear something similar in my old Madonna wannabe/Cindy Lauper-ish days... mesh half socks over white socks with neon jelly sandals...
    I love this though... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D Love that title! I don't think I've paired sandals with socks since I was pint sized (in which case they would have been white frilly ankle socks with white or black strappy, virtually flat soled sandals), but I would be willing to try the look if I could pull it of as prettily as this gal did.

    Big hugs, honey!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete